Platypus is an egg-laying mammal that can only be found in Australia. They are semi-aquatic specie that is well-known for its bill which is similar to duck’s. You may have seen platypus in pictures before, but those maybe not enough.
If you are looking for more information about platypus, buckle up because this article will provide you what you’re looking for. Enjoy these interesting platypus facts for kids.
Basic Platypus Facts For Kids
1. Male platypuses can measure up to 20 inches while females can measure 17 inches.
2. They can weigh up to 1.54 lbs to 5.3 lbs.
3. Platypus’s tails can measure up to 5 inches.
4. They are carnivores. Their main diet is small shrimps, insect, small aquatic species, worms and flies.
5. As mentioned, they only inhabit in Australian regions (as well as in Tasmania)
6. An average lifespan of a platypus is 20 years.
Amazing Facts about Platypus For Kids
7. As platypuses swim, their eyes, nostrils and ears are shut. They use their fore feet to swim forward and hind feet brake and steer.
8. When they walk, they turn back the webs on their fore feet to expose large nails.
9. They use their body’s electric signal and bill’s sensor to spot their preys.
10. Female platypuses don’t have nipples. Their young sucks milk through their abdomen patches.
11. Platypus fact: they can be poisonous particularly the male platypuses. They can discharge venom from their hind foot which causes severe pain to human.
12. They usually inhabit in nearby freshwater lakes and rivers. They also create holes as their shelter and protection.
13. Their name comes from the Greek word “platys” meaning broad and “pous” meaning foot.
14. Platypuses can hold their breath underwater for over 10 minutes
More Animal Facts
There are many more interesting facts about various animals on Kidzable. Check out Alpaca Facts For Kids. Maybe you would like to know more about venomous snakes, take a look at Gaboon viper facts, one of the deadliest snake in the world. Or simply browse around.